And so begins my third season as an "Away Jersey" and what a fine way to start out indeed. Equipped with my head held high and a pair of lucky Flames socks, I geared up for what I knew was going to be a night of bratty Canucks fans with cheesy jokes, all stabs in my direction for being a Calgary (FAITHFUL) fan. Listen to this: We're barely into the first period and it's 2-0 Flames, a nameless "Canucks Fan" comes over to tell me a joke. He says, "What do the Calgary Flames and the Titanic have in common?". I roll my eyes of course because I already know where this is going, but I suppose living in Vancouver I do have to expect some sort of grief for not supporting THEIR team.
I humor him, "What", I murmur over my shoulder. Nameless blurts out, "They both look great until they hit the ice". Charming. I guess he hasn't noticed the score, and I give him no satisfaction whatsoever. I'm thrilled and it's far too draining to listen to all of the fairweather fans make complete morons out of themselves. Talk to me about hockey, don't bother me with childish banter that I could care less about. You cheer for your team, I'll cheer for mine. Don't tell me I can't cheer if I score because I'm being cocky, doesn't everyone cheer when their own team scores? Just a question to think about.
So, the game continues and for a short while I was worried that Vancouver would tie up the game halfway through the third period. We're tired after demolishing Vancouver in the first 40 minutes of play and I'm sending out as many vibes as I can. After watching the clock tick down and the buzzer sound I high five another fellow Calgary fan and say a silent "thank you" in my head. All of a sudden who comes back up from behind me but the same nameless joke-ster. "So, uhh, what do the Canucks and the Titanic have in common," he says to me on his way out. I'm sure at this point you can fill in the blanks, and that folks about sums up what I listen to around here. I've never turned around after a Flames loss and so much called them "losers" let alone crack jokes about what a "shit team" I have. It's a different kind of hockey world over here, not for all, but for most.
I forgot all about it as I watched the Fans from the 'Dome pile out behind the announcers, beaming at all of the red jerseys, knowing that 17th avenue was only a few steps away. There was a lot of cheer in Calgary last night, I know. So, fire up the Red Mile, We're back!!
Ahhhh, GO FLAMES GO!
T
Friday, October 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment