It's a relief we still have anyone playing on the ice that we recognize! With all of the injuries endured by the Calgary Flames, especially in the defense area, we're lucky to be alive at all! Even so, how can it be that we've been shut out on the road four times now? This isn't our game, it isn't our style and it cannot continue to happen if we're serious about a second round series in the Playoffs. This is not the team I know that we are. Our games played with "Away" Jerseys add up to 19-18-2, which is sad to admit because the teams in the Western Conference with more Away losses than wins are Columbus (6th), St. Louis (8th), Nashville (9), Minnesota (10th), Pheonix (13th), Los Angeles (14th) and Colorado (15th)! They're either barely making it into the playoff margin or they aren't even close! Away games count, guys! Come on!
The last Flames game I attended here in Vancouver I was waiting in line for the washroom when the lady in front of me started to chat away. Her husband comes up from our left and I notice his bright red jersey, I'm delightfully surprised! He slips off as discreetly as he appeared and I mention his jersey to her because obviously I am wearing mine! She's simply wearing a regular T-shirt, no logos, and since my boyfriend and I don't share a love for the same hockey team I assumed her loyalty was elsewhere. Wrong! She was embarassed to wear her jersey! Embarassed! Do not associate me with "fans" like that, I am not. I ain't your average joe schmoe, girly, pink jersey wearin', 'fraid to wear my colors Fan.
Last year at exactly this time I was visiting a friend in Victoria, my other "Away" Jersey, if you will. Guzzling a few beers while at the pub watching the game we notice another table FULL of us! Flames fans everywhere. We make fast friends! Excited and geared up for the game we step outside to catch some fresh air in between periods. A young man probably around our age walked up to us in our Flames gear and said, "Oh yeah! Betcha can't even name five players".
Thrilled by the challenge, we both start naming off practically the entire team. When we're finished he says, "Ya, Kipper doesn't count", but we were pretty sure we had him now. My partner in crime throws one back at him that I'm positive by the look of surprise on his face, he hadn't been expecting. "Name five guys on the Canucks, then!" She's got him now! And you know what, he doesn't do it, he can't. Sweet Victory. We're Girls and we love Hockey. And we love our Calgary Flames.
Back to reality and what's happening in the now. I won't say that I'm not stressed watching the numbers bounce around on the left side of our team name! 3rd in conference, 5th in conference, what next! There are only a few points in the deciding factor between first place and falling hard and fast down this ladder of demise. As I was getting at earlier, we haven't been the best hockey franchise away from home and unfortunately we still have two of those away games remaining in the regular season! What will become of us in the first round of the playoffs when we have to play as little as 2 away games and as many as 4! The way the Calgary Flames are handling the pressure scares me because I know we're a fantastic team, we have our weaknesses but all in all we have a "Playoff" team! For some reason it's proven to be a hard end to a season for us with little bouts of struggle throughout.
Injuries and a schedule that leaves the last six games all back to backs wouldn't be a healthy combination for any team. It's something that has to be dealt with and unfortunately we've been playing some of the top teams in our last run for the money. We're in the Playoffs, the spot has been clinched and I love that little "x" like I love the sunshine, but it's time to get serious about our lines, it's the wrong time to be messing with chemistry and above all else it is time to focus! Vancouver sits in the first column line in our Division as of our loss to Minnesota last night and they take their act to Edmonton for a slap at the puck tonight. They also have a back to back game, Sunday's opponent being Colorado on home ice. Calgary battles for points against the L.A. Kings on Home ice come Monday. Then Tuesday is here and bringing with it a game that has turned out to be "The Game of The Year!". Each meeting until then, for both teams, counts as a step ahead or two steps back as well as the two games afterwards. Neither team will want to win anymore than the other, the stakes are the same, and they are high.
To all of the "Away" Jerseys!
Go Flames Go!
T
Saturday, April 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment