Our Blog, well it's going to entail a few things I'd gather, over time. Today I'd like to start basically by introducing this idea as our way to express our love for Hockey. This is our beloved hobby even with the trials we endure living away from our Home Team, The Calgary Flames. We are "The Away Jerseys"! Support and fan base is huge in every franchise, of course we are all aware. In an unfamiliar place, in someone else's territory, you see a familiar face, you gain momentum, you have someone to make proud! Ok, well sitting in the middle of a stadium that isn't my own I could only hope that Jarome Iginla or Michael Cammalleri notices the random C's around the ice, seeing my jersey and playing harder because of it! (Or any other Flames player...we're not favouring anyone on purpose or mentioning the players above with a lack of one.)
I've lived in Van now for more than a year and a half. I'm proud and quite pleased to say that I have not missed a single Calgary Flames game. Although it seems Canucks fans believe that I (or we for the other "Away" Jerseys out there!) only go to GM Place to cheer against their team, I'd like to take this opportunity to address that there is no other opponent available to cheer against! Ahh, and so I am gearing up for this Tuesday's all mighty and incredibly important game. It's a tight race as it stands, being tied in points with Vancouver and both teams clinching playoff spots. The Flames are only sitting pretty with our 1st Place in the division due to a slight hand in technicalities. Tonight's game against Minnesota along with Monday's game versus LA are more important than ever for us now, determining just how important Tuesday's game will have to be. My hopes are obvious I would think. Should Vancouver lose their games from now until their meeting with us on April 7th, and we win ours, that gives us a 4 point lead. That's a lead I'd gladly appreciate while encroaching on Vancouver's territory!
So maybe I am cheering against the Vancouver Canucks, but do understand I have little choice. I did go to the Flames game IN Calgary at the end of December and cheered against the Senators, a game I was glad to be in attendance for! It's all in good fun, and a real fan doesn't throw out her jersey and forget about her loyalty when she moves to another province, oh no! And she most certainly would never consider cheering for a division rival instead! It's a hard battle and I find myself defending my loyalty and my team more often than not, but it is surely rewarding when you run into a fellow fan. That high-five connecting is sweet music to my ears! (Vancouver fans rolling their eyes in disgust, however allowing us at least a little peace in our moment of recognition!)
And we're off to the races. Vancouver has the night off. We have the night off tomorrow. There could end up being a tie again come Monday. Whatever happens, Tuesday We will be in attendance at GM Place, us "Away Jerseys". I will be cheering against the Vancouver Canucks. It's nothing personal. Go Flames Go!
T
Friday, April 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment