Well, well! I said last night to Danielle that I was really hoping for Rene's second career hat trick as we were reminiscing about our home game one year earlier when Rene captured his first against the Ottawa Senators. Although that didn't happen, I was pleasantly surprised with tonight's victory against the Edmonton Oilers, 3 out of our four goals from the tip of Rene's stick. That hat trick I was praying for only came on day late of his one year anniversary and I'll take it! I bet he will, too.
I was just sitting here with the twins explaining what it means when you score a hat trick, how many minutes you stay in the penalty box for and that it's ok for a goaltender to head to the bench during a play because that means we get an extra attacker. Then, it's shower time. As soon as they leave the room, Rene scores a hat trick and the poor boys missed it! Oh the irony! I'm sincerely pleased with Bourque's performance since he has become a Calgary Flame. People continue to be shocked by him "from the beginning of the season", but I beg to differ. He was an amazing influence from the first time his skates hit the ice in his Reds. No one was paying attention, I suppose.
There is so much hockey on right now that I almost don't know what to do with myself. I've got the twins excited for the Team Canada announcements tomorrow morning and my alarm is already set for 9am. There's been quite a bit of heated discussion about starting goaltenders between friends right now. Of course, having Luongo as one of those options and having lived in Vancouver for the last two and a half years I think a large amount of my friends have leaned in that direction out of loyalty as Canucks fans. I personally would love to see Martin Brodeur as our starter because I feel that he deserves it more than anyone in his category. His last season was impeccable with the NJ Devils, not that Luongo is any less talented, I would feel more confident about our team with Brodeur in charge of net-minding. I would like to see Luongo as his backup however, but only time will tell.
As for forwards there is no doubt in my mind that Jarome Iginla will be picked for Team Canada. He's clearly been a favorite in the NHL world since he hit the ice eleven seasons ago, the only question there is if he has a chance at being named the Captain for 2010. I'd say that he'd be pleased to simply play for Team Canada and strive for another Gold Medal!
It's going to be a very interesting couple of days, announcements, tonight's game and World Juniors and the Calgary Flames for NYE 2010! I've got my lucky socks on!
Let's go boys!
T
Monday, December 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

A natural hat trick too, awesome!
ReplyDelete