Upon moving home I realized that I would be in Calgary for New Year's Eve for the first time in three years. I had a few weeks to round up some good quality friends and decide on an event with everyone that would be enjoyed by all. Finally, Flames Central was brought into conversation and we had a winner! I'd never been since I had moved either shortly after it opened or right before so I was looking forward to ringing in the New Year where the Flames game was not only accessible but enjoyed among fellow fans! Off to Ticketmaster I went ($20! Can't beat that!) and six happy faces later we were on our way downtown to Stephen Avenue!
Doors opened at four so we tried our best to make it down for around that time but I woke up with a terrible cold and couldn't find my motivation anywhere. After a long shower and some time to pick myself up, I was dolled up I was on my way to meet up with the gang. I decided against wearing a Jersey, but hear me out. It's New Years Eve and although I'm a jeans and sweatshirt kind of girl I enjoy having a reason to dust off the pumps! A friend of mine said to me, "You wear your Jersey three or four times a week!" and there was my decision already made for me. I thought of wearing it over my outfit for the game, classy - I know, and also decided against that in the off chance I lost it. Anyhow...
I was blown away at how beautiful the bar was after spending my share of nights downtown when the venue used to be called "The Palace". What an incredible transformation and innovative idea for a bar so close in quarters to the Saddledome. The sound system was incredible along with the company we were surrounded by. There was no drama that you normally would try to avoid at a regular night club, no meat market feel, just a bunch of hockey fans enjoying their last hours of 2009.
The World Juniors game against USA was an outstanding experience at Flames Central. They have TV's everywhere you look, not to mention the main screen that stretched from floor to ceiling at the stage of the bar. After having some holiday balloons removed from our view we had some of the best seats in the house. Stage left, first table right beside the bar and up a level from where they would transform seating to dance floor in just mere hours. Our Juniors game commenced at 6:00pm and we watched, we laughed, we cheered... the atmosphere was perfect. Announcements came on for shuttles to the 'Dome for those who bought the Game Night package (which we did not...but it was worth staying at the bar for all of the games and events that night) and I can see a shuttle ride from Flames Central in my future! Come 7pm we switched from watching a nail biting game to starting our first period of Traditional New Years Eve Flames hockey. The entire crowd was pumped and although we lost a bundle that headed to live seats we still had a comfortable fit of Flames fans, eyes glued to the big screen, beers in hand.
After a period of no scoring and what seemed like two very tired teams we sat back for some intermission entertainment provided by two volunteers and Wii boxing on the larger than life big screen. I must say that it was a pretty good idea to have some interaction with the patrons during the break in games, all in all I was actually impressed with the whole night. Back into the second period I witnessed Conroy score his second goal of the season and watched his arms shoot straight up in the air in excitement. Having missed his first goal of the season just one night before you can imagine how excited I was for my New Year's wish... well, in terms of hockey here people! A second period of intermission in progress and we snap back to the Junior's game while it's a staggering 4-2 for USA. We're informed during play that we have a choice to make. We can finish watching this grueling and intense game or switch back... it's 4-3, it's 4-4...it's OT and then shoot out! Amazing! Now, I am not a big fan of five minutes of overtime. In fact, some of my favorite hockey moments and memories with friends are tangled and intertwined with two or three full overtime periods, although I do understand that playing intense hockey for that long is quite tough on the players. Anyhow, this might have been one of the best shoot outs I have watched as far as excitement goes.
Flames Central will definitely be somewhere I plan to watch a few games at between now and the end of the season. I am definitely happy with our decision to spend our night there and think everyone was pretty content. So Calgary claims a win and Canada claims a win. That's starting the year off on the right foot!
Go Flames Go!
T
Friday, January 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Yeah many more nights at Flames Central with me!!!
ReplyDelete